ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING 2017
Please join the Justice and the Law Society for our 2017 Annual General Meeting.
Date: 26th of October, 6pm.
On the night we will receive the reports from the 2017 President, Treasurer, VP Administration, and Secretary and invite nominations for the 2018 Executive.
To apply for a position in the 2018 executive, please email your name and nominated position(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3pm on the 26th of October. Nominations will also be accepted from the floor. Position descriptions are provided below, and the speaking time for nominations are:
President: 4 minutes (plus 4 minutes of questions)
General executive positions: 2 minutes (plus 2 minutes of questions)
Committee members: 1 minute
Vice-President Social Justice
Pandora's Box Editors (x2)
Careers Officers (x2)
Social Justice Officers (x2)
Pandora's Blog Editors (x2)
Marketing Officers (x2)
Committee Members (x4)
JATL EXECUTIVE POSITIONS - 2018
PresidentThe President is responsible for the overall administration of the Society. In particular, this includes:
1. a) Ensuring adequate planning of events, publications and initiatives for the year;
2. b) Supervising the Executive to ensure timely completion of all tasks;
3. c) Maintenance of relations with:
2. TC Beirne School of Law
3. JATL’s patron
4. The UQLS
5. UQ Union
6. The University at large
5. e) Representing the Society at Law School functions and events, and
6. f) Presiding at meetings of the Executive and General meetings of the Society
The Vice-President (Administration) is responsible for assisting the President in all aspects of the administration of the Society. In addition, the Vice-President (Administration)’s responsibilities include:
1. a) Managing the JATL website
2. b) Preparing the Society’s regular newsletter
3. c) Maintaining an up-to-date register of members in conjunction with the Secretary, and
4. d) Presiding at meetings in the absence of the President.
The Treasurer is responsible for:
1. a) Maintaining the financial records of the Society;
2. b) Preparing appropriate documentation for any transactions entered by the Society;
3. c) Preparing the Society's financial records for annual audit;
4. d) Budgeting for all events and publications, and
5. e) Assistance with obtaining sponsorship.
The Secretary is responsible for:
1. a) Maintaining an up-to-date list of members of the Society;
2. b) Keeping minutes at all Executive and General meetings of the Society;
3. c) Administering the Society's general email account and preparing the Society’s regular newsletter
4. d) Assisting where requested with correspondence for particular events (eg. by preparing lists of invitees, drafting invitations, etc.)
The Vice-President (Careers) is responsible for:
1. a) Planning and execution of all Careers portfolio related events eg. Beyond Eagle Street Drinks, Law Beyond the Border, the Annual Professional Breakfast, Wigs at the Bar.
2. b) Identifying appropriate professional guests for careers events and liaising with those attendees,
3. c) Supervision of the Careers Officers with any tasks related to the above events.
Vice-President (Social Justice)
The Vice-President (Social Justice) is responsible for:
1. a) Enhancing awareness of law and social justice issues amongst the JATL and wider Law School
2. b) Planning and execution of all Social Justice portfolio events (ie. two Social Justice Forums in
each semester, Trivia, and the Fundraising Gala), and
3. c) Supervision of the Social Justice Officers with any tasks related to the above events.
Pandora's Box Editors (2 positions available)
The Pandora's Box Editors are responsible for the production of JATL's annual academic journal Pandora's Box. This includes:
1. a) Acquiring articles for the journal from appropriate contributors (ie. legal professionals and academics);
2. b) Preparing the journal for print and launch at the Annual Professional Breakfast;
3. c) Securing funds for the journal, and
4. d) Selling copies of the journal to law libraries or other interested purchasers.
Pandora's Blog Editors (2 positions available)
The Pandora's Blog Editors are responsible for editing JATL’s online publication, Pandora’s Blog. This includes:
1. a) Acquiring articles for the Blog from appropriate contributors (ie. legal professionals and academics);
2. b) Editing submissions and uploading submissions to the Blog, and
3. c) Promoting the blog.
Marketing Officers (2 positions available)
The Marketing Officers are responsible for the design and printing of advertising material for all events and, if requested, preparing invitations to events. Anyone with a background in graphic design is particularly encouraged to apply.
Careers Officers (2 positions available)
Careers Officers are responsible for assisting the Vice-President (Careers) in all aspects of the planning and organisation of Careers events.
Social Justice Officers (2 positions available)
Each Social Justice Officer will be responsible for one Social Justice Forum per Semester, under the supervision of Vice-President (Social Justice). This includes identifying and contacting appropriate guest speakers.
Sponsorship and Fundraising Officer
Under the supervision of the President and Treasurer, the role of the Sponsorship and Fundraising Officer is to:
1. a) Develop a sponsorship plan for the Society;
2. b) Assist event and publication organisers with obtaining sponsorship for their activities, and
Committee Members (4 positions available)
The Committee Members are responsible for assisting with any tasks relevant to the Society's operations as required. This will include, but is not limited to:
1. a) Assisting each of the portfolios.
2. c) Attending Society events and meetings; and
3. d) Advertising events.