Pandora's Box 2012: Law, People and Politics
In our 2012 edition, Pandora’s Box got political! In the pages herein you’ll find articles, interviews and book reviews about the history and future of the referendum; about political finance law and potential reforms; about the High Court’s Mabo judgment and the native title system; about Australia’s first female High Court Justice and how she viewed the law as a tool for achieving social justice; about deliberative democracy and the rule of law; and much, much more.
Please click here to view the 2012 edition of Pandora's Box
The 2012 contributors for Pandora's Box include:
- An Interview with Professor George Williams (on the history and future of the referendum)
- Ms Pamela Burton (on former HCA Justice Gaudron's life and her impact on the law).
- Dr Bryan Keon-Cohen AM QC (counsel in Mabo (No 2) - on native title law after 20 years since Mabo).
- Dr Ron Levy (of Griffith University - on deliberate democratic reform proposals for our constitutional system).
- Andrew Fraser (the former Deputy Premier and Treasurer of Queensland - reflections on a public life).
- Professor Charles Sampford (of Griffith University - to former Governor-General and UQ Vice-Chancellor Sir Zelman Cowen).
- Professor Graeme Orr (UQ - on the law of politics).
- Dr Joo-Cheong Tham (Melbourne - on money in politics).
- Ms Laura Hilly (a current Rhodes Scholar - on the Rule of Law).
About the Editors
William Isdale studies law, politics and philosophy at the University of Queensland. He is a past President of the Australian Legal Philosophy Students' Association (2012) and former Editor of the Justice and the Law Society's journal, Pandora's Box (2011-12). In early 2012 and 2014 he was a visiting student at Oxford University's Uehiro Centre for Practical Ethics.
Samuel Walpole studies psychology and law at the University of Queensland where he is presently a Research Assistant in the TC Beirne School of Law and Student Editor of the Australian and New Zealand Maritime Law Journal. He is a past President of the Justice and the Law Society (2014), and a former Editor of Pandora’s Box (2012-13).